I am so excited to announce a new feature on the blog. A vintage book club!
Vintage Book Club
I am an avid reader and I absolutely love books. They are such a fun way to learn and soak in new experiences. I decided it would be fun to start a little virtual book club!
Do you care to join along?
Here is how it will work. At the beginning of every month I will announce the book we will be reading.
Later in the month I will update this post with some discussion questions. We can use the comments section below to share our thoughts with each other.
Since this is a blog geared towards vintage living, most of the books that I select will be related to vintage life.
It may be an actual vintage book written in the early to mid 20th century. Or it may be a more current book that explores a topic from that era, or is set in that era.
I am so excited to go on a reading adventure with you!
Make sure you subscribe to the blog so you will be notified when the discussion questions get posted.
That is also the best way to stay updated on the new book selections every month!
Vintage Book Club Selection: September 2021
This month we will read Finding Betty Crocker: The Secret Life of America’s First Lady of Food by Susan Marks.
Here is an excerpt from the book’s description:
“‘Born’ in 1921 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to proud corporate parents, Betty Crocker has grown, over eight decades, into one of the most successful branding campaigns the world has ever known. Now, at long last, she has her own biography. Finding Betty Crocker draws on six years of research plus an unprecedented look into the General Mills archives to reveal how a fictitious spokesperson was enthusiastically welcomed into kitchen and shopping carts across the nation.”
It is time to grab a copy of Finding Betty Crocker!
Are you familiar with Biblio.com? It is a treasure trove of used and rare books.
And did you know they have over 8 million books that include free shipping with no minimum purchase?
Click here and head on over to Biblio.com and search for Finding Betty Crocker, or any other used book you have been looking for!
Or you can find it here on Amazon.
Of course I also encourage you to support your local library and grab a copy from there!
Book Club Discussion Questions
Here are the discussion questions for the September 2021 selection: Finding Betty Crocker.
- Was there ever a time in your life that you thought Betty Crocker was a real person? Do you remember her being a part of your childhood?
- Do you feel drawn to the mysterious persona of Betty, or does her corporate branding turn you off?
- Do you think Betty filled a void for homemakers in the 1920s who felt unable to adapt old recipes to new technology?
- What role do you think Betty’s radio program played in Betty’s success?
- Are you surprised that Betty was supportive of women working outside the home?
- What do you think is the most important role Betty played during WWII?
- Would you have wanted to be a part of Betty’s Home Legion?
- Betty’s face changed many times throughout the decades. Which rendition of Betty is your favorite?
- The book is filled with many recipes, which one do you most want to make in your kitchen?
- Do you think Betty continues to play a role in the modern kitchen?
These are just some ideas to start off our discussion. There is no need for you to answer all of the questions, but feel free to pick a few of your questions and share your thoughts in the comments.
And of course, share any other thoughts you have that are not covered in the questions!
Also, just for fun, here is a picture of Betty’s Homemaker’s Creed.